Our mission is to reduce the amount of material sent to landfill
through early student engagement.
The United States recycling rate has remained stagnant around 34% for decades. Green Up Our Schools intends to reverse that trend. This year, schools in Massachusetts, Colorado, and California are working hard to educate their peers on sustainability and decrease the amount of material they send to landfill.
During the 2014-2015 school year, Green Up Our Schools worked closely with 27 elementary schools across two states and seven districts. Our reach impacted over 20,000 students in Colorado and California and helped divert over 1,000,000 pounds of recyclable material from landfill. Green Up Our Schools is currently working with 37 elementary schools during the 2015-2016 school year. With your support we will be able to continue educating our young citizens to be environmentally responsible and expand the program to reach many more youth!
– Teacher, STEM Launch
Why choose Green Up Our Schools to champion the cause?
- Recycling rates at participating schools increases by 54% on average
- The program is student run and builds problem solving, communication, and leadership skills
- Schools diverted over 300,000 lbs of organic material from landfill in 2014
- $17,925 in grants awarded to schools in 2014
- Check out the graph below to see how schools are spending it: